Trying to scan documents from your HP printer but it won’t scan? Go through this article to learn more about the issue and how you can resolve it.
HP is a well-established name in Personal Computer and associated appliances. These are one of the best available printers in the market. Sometimes we face a situation where the printer is working fine with the job of printing but it is not scanning the documents. Mostly this occurs when you are scanning to the PC. The PC indicates the error as an issue as the device is not connected to the internet.
HP printers won’t scan to a computer problem can occur when scanning is disabled on your PC or the scanning drivers haven’t been installed properly. To overcome this issue you need to enable the scanning to PC. Let’s understand the steps to enable the HP Printer scanning to the PC.
- Search for the HP printer model name in Windows.
- Click on the specific printer name in the list of results. This will open the HP Printer Assistant.
- Enable Scanner Actions. Click on the Option Manage Scan to the computer.
- Click on the Enable button to start the scan to the computer.
How To Troubleshoot The HP Printer Won’t Scan Issue?
Despite the great build quality, the performance could be impacted due to incorrect settings. If you have faced this issue often, then you must go through this blog. You will be able to fix the HP printer that won’t scan with the help of these instructions.
Let’s look at the possible causes and fixes.
1. Check for the Compatibility of the printer
If you have the latest firmware installed on your device. And it is not working despite the latest software. There must be a compatibility issue with the printer model. You need to check if your HP printer model is compatible with the latest OS or not from the HP website. If you find that your printer model is not compatible with Windows 10. In that case, you have only one option left to change the printer.
2. Reinstalling the HP Printer Software
It might be possible that your printer software is running on an older firmware which no longer supports the scanning service. In that case, you need to update the HP printer software to overcome the HP Printer won’t scan issue. The drivers for the scanning get older with time and if not updated it can create issues. Hence you need to update the HP Printer software and their respective drivers for printing and scanning to function properly. Below are the steps to download the HP printer software.
- Press the Windows R key to launch the Run Box.
- Type ‘appwiz. cpl’ in the text box and click on OK.
- Select the HP Printer Software from the list on the Program and Features in Control Panel.
- Select Uninstall and Click On the Yes Button. Restart the PC after uninstalling the HP Printer software.
- Remove the HP Printer from the lists of the available printers and Scanners. Removing printers is quite easy. Just go to Settings> Printers and Scanners. Click on the HP Printer Model You want to remove. Click On the Remove Device.
- Open the HP Support Page. Click on the printer model name in the search box.
- A compatible and latest software and driver page will open. Select the appropriate Windows 10 version whether it is 32 bit or 64 bit.
- Download the latest driver for your printer model and install it.
- There are chances the printer will start scanning and printing normally.
3. Use the HP Print and Scan Troubleshooter
The Official support application from HP is HP Print and Scan Doctor. It diagnoses the problem and fixes the issue related to HP printers and scanners. Here is the How you can use the HP Print and Scan Doctor to fix the scanning issues.
- Check if the printer is connected to USB or wirelessly to the PC.
- Download The HP Print and scan Doctor App from the official HP customer support page on its website.
- Double Click on HPPSdr.exe and Click On Run.
- Open The Software window. Click on the Start button and select the Fix Scanning Option. A troubleshooter will detect the error within a couple of minutes. If any errors are detected by the software, it will guide you to follow the further steps to get your HP Printer won’t scan issue fixed.
4. Disable the Windows Defender Firewall
Sometimes the Firewall blocks the network printer ports that turn off the communication. Hence it is advised to disable or turn off the Windows Defender Firewall or any other installed antivirus software installed in the PC. By following the below step you will be able to turn off the Windows Defender Firewall in Windows 10.
- Open The Search and type Firewall.
- Open Control Panel and Look after Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall Off.
- HP Print and Scan Doctor also avails the facility to turn off the WDF.
- Most antivirus software has options to switch them off or on. Hence You can turn them off for getting the error sorted.
5. Removal of Corrupted Files
Corrupted and incomplete files could be the possible reason behind the HP Printer won’t scan issues occurring with your HP Printer. You can use System File Checker Scan. It will remove or repair the corrupted file. HP scanner not working because of the corrupt system files and drivers. Here are the steps mentioned to run a System File Checker Scan.
- Open The Command Terminal
- Enter the command DISM.exe/Online/Cleanup-image/restore health’
- Press the return button before starting the SCF Scan. Enter ‘SFC/scannow’ in the Command Prompt. Press the Enter Key
- The process will start and take a couple of minutes.
- Restart the PC, your scanning issues must have been resolved yet.
6. Enabling The Windows Image Acquisition Service
Windows Image Acquisition Service is the most essential scanning service. Enabling the service might help in fixing the error of the HP Printer not scanning to the computer.
If you want to enable the WIA Service, you have to go by the following steps.
- Open The Run Box By Hitting the WIndows+ R key together.
- Type ‘services.msc’ in the run box. Click the OK button.
- Double Click on Windows Image Acquisition to open the window
- Select Automatic in the drop-down menu followed by clicking OK.
- Remote Procedure Call, DCOM, ROC Endpoint Mapper are scanning services for Windows.
We hope your HP Printer won’t scan issue is resolved after following the procedure mentioned above. However, if due to some reason, the scanning issues persist, kindly contact HP Customer Support for further better assistance.