Have you ever run into the “Printer not Activated Error Code 20 ” while upgrading your Windows system to a higher version or using the QuickBooks software application? Well! This error is commonly faced by users trying to upgrade to the newest Windows version or using the QuickBooks app. There can be multiple possible reasons due to which the printer not activated error may appear like the old program or exploited software. luckily, the problem can be resolved with some simple troubleshooting steps.
This guide will help you to find some effective troubleshooting solutions to resolve the Printer Not Activated Error Code 20 problem. So keep reading and find the most reliable fixes to fix the error. Make sure that you adhere to the guidelines.
Why Does Printer Not Activated Error Code -20 Appears?
While upgrading your Windows operating system, you may get a printer not activated error code -20. When you update the operating system, delete the application key from the ” registry settings”. Users may encounter this issue while they send or receive an email to PDF. The presence of the QuickBooks software application can also be the reason that problem occurs.
Troubleshoot Printer Not Activated Error Code -20
Every problem has a solution, so does your printer. Below, we are sharing some easy guidelines that can help you to fix the Printer Not Activated Error Code 20. Before you proceed next and follow the steps, check and make sure that your printer and computer are securely connected. Check and make sure that you have chosen the right printer. Also, it is recommended to get a registry backup and restore your device before following the troubleshooting steps.
To create the registry backup, follow the below steps:
- Type the ” registry editor”.
- Go to ” computers”.
- Click “File”.
- Tap on Exports>> Save it.
- Now, create a ” system restore point”.
- Go to the start menu.
- Search for ” system restore”. Here you will find an option to create the new store point.
- When you see the system properties window appearing, from Local Disk C find ” protection settings”, and enable it.
- Hit the Ok button.
Your system restores point will be created.
1.Upgrade the Windows system
The old version of the Windows system may cause trouble in the printer’s functioning. So, it is recommended to upgrade the windows to its latest version available. You can upgrade the Windows system by visiting the manufacturer’s website. Also, upgrade the printer software and drivers.
2.Set The Printer As default
To set your printer as a default printing device, follow the steps below:
- Go to the Start menu.
- Open ” Control Panel”.
- Click on the ” Devices and Printer”.
- Now, you have to right-click on your Printer name
- Choose the ” Set as default printer” option.
- Once you are done, restart your computer.
If you are having trouble with your printer after installing the QuickBooks software, then you must uninstall it and then Re-install. Sometimes, the problem is not with the printer but the application itself. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Go to the ” Control Panel”.
- Click “Programs and features”.
- Locate the QuickBooks software.
- Click to uninstall the software.
Once you have uninstalled the software, visit QuickBooks optional website and re-install the software on your device. After the program re-installation, your Printer not Activated Error Code 20 should be resolved.
4.Grant permission Using Powershell
To troubleshoot the problem, you can try using PowerShell. Here are the steps you need to follow for using it:
- In the windows search box, type “Powershell”.
- After this, right-click ” Powershell” and choose the option “Run it as administrator”.
- In Powershell, type the following command and click on the Enter button.
Command: “”PowerShell.exe -NoProfile -NoLogo -NonInteractive -Command “$key = [Microsoft.Win32.Registry]::CurrentConfig.OpenSubKey(‘Software’,[Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKeyPermissionCheck]::ReadWriteSubTree,[System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryRights]::ChangePermissions); $acl =$key.GetAccessControl(); $rule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryAccessRule (‘Users’,’FullControl’,’ObjectInherit,ContainerInherit’,’None’,’Allow’); $acl.SetAccessRule($rule); $key.SetAccessControl($acl)”;””.
5.Run Printer Troubleshooter
If you are still having a hard time troubleshooting the printer not activated error code 20, run the printer troubleshooter and fix the issue automatically. A printer troubleshooter is a software that helps to troubleshoot printer-related software issues. To run printer troubleshooter, proceed with the steps below:
- In the Windows search bar, type ” troubleshoot” and hit the button.
- Click on “Troubleshoot”.
- Go to the ” Printer” and run the software to troubleshoot the problem.
- Proceed with the onscreen instructions and let the troubleshooter find and fix your problem.
- Once you are done, restart your device and see if the problem is resolved.
6.Re-install ” USB composite device”
- To reinstall the USB composite device, open the run box using Windows + R key.
- Now, type “devmgmt.msc”, click the ” enter” button. This will open the device manager. From here, expand the ” the universal serial bus controllers”.
- Right-click on the USB composite device and choose the ” uninstall” option.
- Hit the “Ok” button.
- Disconnect the USB cable from your system and restart your device. After that, reconnect the USB cable and install the latest version of printer software and drivers.
- At last, right-click on the printer icon, and choose the ” print a test page” option to see if your printer is printing the documents.
- Close all the windows. You can use the same application you were using before to print the documents.
7.Clean Windows registry
Another possible reason due to which may encounter Printer not Activated Error Code 20 on your device is damaged or corrupted Windows registry. Windows registry is a database that holds important details about the windows settings and data. The software is used to read the windows registry keys and if the windows registry keys are corrupted or damaged, Windows cannot read the registry settings. To troubleshoot the problem, follow simple steps:
- Open the Run box.
- Type “Regedit” in the run box and hit the ok button.
- The ” registry editor” will open.
- Expand ” HKEY_ CURRENT_ CONFIG.
- Right-click on the software and choose the ” permission” option.
- The ” permission for software” Window will open on your screen.
- Make sure that the administrator and user have complete control or access. If not, put a
- checkmark on the “Allow” box to provide access.
- Hit the “Apply” button.
- Click “Ok” and save the settings.
- Restart your system.
So these are some simple and quick troubleshooting guidelines that can help you to fix the Printer Not Activated Error Code 20 problem on your device. In case, you are still unable to use the printer services because of an activation error, we recommend you contact the printer experts for personal advice. The experts can suggest you the best possible solution to fix the issue and also share useful tips to make your printing experience better.